The City of Covington Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federal rent subsidy program sponsored by the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Its purpose is to assist eligible elderly, disabled or very-low income households obtain decent, safe and sanitary housing. Qualified families pay 30 percent of their gross income for rent and utilities. The Housing Choice Voucher Program pays the remainder of the total contract rent to the landlord under a specific contract with money allocated from the HUD.
Housing Choice Voucher Program - How to Apply
The Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is currently open and accepting applications. You can access the online application by clicking here.
In order to complete an application, you must have:
- Valid, current picture I.D.’s for all adult household members
- State issued Birth Certificates for all household members
- Social Security cards or Social Security print outs for all household members
- Current verification of your income* (SS award letter, check stubs, TANF paperwork, etc.)
- Verification of Residency (you need only one of the following options)
Accepted verification of residency includes, but is not limited to:
- Signed Lease for your present unit
- Recent utility bills* (gas and electric, cable, telephone, etc.)
- Recent pay stubs* if your address is listed on them
- A letter from a shelter confirming your residency if homeless
- Two other current pieces of official mail* (Food Stamp/Medical Card paperwork, credit card bill, bank statement, etc.)
*Verification must be dated within the past 60 days.
Project-Based Assistance Program - How to Apply
Applications for Project-Based Assistance (Academy Flats, Brickstone Properties, Dell Street Properties) are accepted on Mondays only from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 2300 Madison Avenue, Covington, KY 41014. To complete a PBA application, all adults who will be living in the Section 8 household must be present and you must have all of the items listed above.
Landlord Access Website
The City has created a website from which landlords can view or print direct deposit statements for Housing Assistance Payments (HAP). This website allows landlords access to current or past statements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, anywhere they have internet access.
Visit the Landlord Access site. If you are a new user, you will need to register in order to set up a user name and password.
If you have any questions about Landlord Access Website, please feel free to call the Housing Choice Voucher Program staff at 859-292-2188.