The City of Covington Zoning Code regulates development within the City. Zoning regulations govern land use, building height and density, parking requirements, signage regulations, and the character of development on private property, as well as property uses.
While zoning ordinances vary from city to city, areas are typically designated for residential, business, or industrial uses. So before you open a convenience store in your garage or convert your office building into an apartment complex, you should check with your local zoning authority.
Zoning permits authorize the use of a building or property as well as the construction of, or an addition to, a building. A zoning permit is required before a building permit may be issued by Planning and Development Services of Kenton County or before an Occupational License can be issued by the Finance Department to set up a business entity with the City.
Zoning permits are required for the following activities:
- All new construction
- All occasions where a new use is proposed on a property or in a structure.
- Additions to all existing buildings
- Demolition, such as all or part of a structure
- Construction of all sheds, detached garages, carports, swimming pools, decks, etc.
- Installation of fences
- Creation of off-street parking
- Installation of any signage
Zoning applications and relevant documents should be submitted to the Zoning & Development Specialist.
Applications are either approved or denied by the Zoning & Development Specialist within two weeks. Denied applications can either be re-submitted with changes to the original application or appealed to the Board of Adjustment.
If the property is located within an Historic Preservation Overlay Zone, a Certificate of Appropriateness issued by the Historic Preservation Officer is required prior to zoning review.
Building permits are administered through Planning and Development Services of Kenton County (PDS) and are subject to the following process:
- An applicant submits an application directly to PDS offices at 2332 Royal Drive, Fort Mitchell, KY 41017 (859-331-8980).
- All applications require the proper plans and drawings to be submitted with a complete building permit application and associated fee. The application must be filled out in its entirety. Any incomplete applications or inadequate submissions will not be accepted.
- If the applicant chooses to submit the building permit application to the City of Covington, applications are due by 3:30 p.m., weekdays in order for the application to be delivered to the PDS on the same day of submission. Any applications submitted after 3:30 p.m. will be delivered to the PDS offices the following business day.
- Once the application and plans have been reviewed, the applicant will be contacted by the PDS for the next steps regarding permit pickup and any final payments due.
If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact either the Zoning Specialist 859-292-2135 or PDS Building Codes Department 859-331-8980.
Other Zoning Resources