Tando Way in South Covington is the first street tackled by Riegler Blacktop.
Annual resurfacing project to bring smoother driving
COVINGTON, Ky. – All or part of 22 streets in Covington are about to get a smoother surface.
Some 80,000 square yards of asphalt will be laid 1½ inches thick as part of a $995,000 contract that got underway this week on Tando Drive in South Covington.
After finishing Tando, Riegler Blacktop Inc. will work its way north on the list of streets provided by the City, said Bill Matteoli, assistant director of Covington’s Public Works Department.
“It’ll take about a month, and when it’s done, drivers will be a lot happier,” he said.
Independent engineers rated the condition of the City’s streets. This year’s list includes streets from 11 neighborhoods and represents those defined by a number of factors, including those in the worst condition, those that have been awaiting treatment for the longest time, and those that get the most traffic, Matteoli said.
“We know there are a number of streets that need attention, and we’re tackling as many as possible each year,” he said.
The contract was approved by the Covington Board of Commissioners on June 28. The dollar figure associated with the contract reflects the rising cost of everything from gasoline to asphalt, he said.
Riegler’s crews are grinding away about 1½ inches of surface before laying the asphalt.
The list of streets include locations in the neighborhoods of Austinburg, Botany Hills, Central Business District, Eastside, Helentown, Kenton Hills, Latonia Milldale, Peaselburg, Ritte’s East Latonia, South Covington, and Wallace Woods.
In alphabetical order, here are the streets to be paved:
- Brantley Ridge Drive, from Taylor Mill Road to Southpointe Lane.
- Daniels Street, from Decoursey to its east end.
- East 15th Street, from Scott to Eastern.
- East 17th Street, from Greenup to Maryland.
- East 40th Street, from Huntington to Glenn.
- Eastern Avenue, from East 16th to East 17th.
- Franklin/Center Street, from Highland to West 22nd.
- Garrard Street, from 15th to 20th.
- Glenway Avenue, from Wallace to East 21st.
- Greenup Street, from East 20th to Wallace.
- High Street/Ron Einhaus Way, from Parkway to Highway.
- Highland Avenue, from Benton to Jefferson.
- Lincoln Avenue, from East 36th to Daniels.
- Madison Avenue, from Overlook to RiverCenter Boulevard.
- Pleasant Street, from Scott to Greenup.
- Prisoner’s Lake Drive, from West Street to Wayne Road.
- River Road, from its west end to its east end.
- Robbins Street, from Madison to Garrard.
- Russell Street, from West 19th to West 17th.
- Scott Boulevard, from East 20th to Wallace.
- Tando Way, from Juarez Circle to its east end.
- Wallace Avenue, from Eastern to Glenway.
Parking will be restricted at times during the repaving. Signs will be posted ahead of time and affected residents should also receive notices through the mail. The project wasn’t supposed to start until later this month, but the good weather enabled Riegler to get started early, Matteoli said.
# # #