(EDITOR'S NOTE: This is another in a series of recycling tips from the City of Covington's Neighborhood Services Department, Solid Waste & Recycling Division.)
COVINGTON, Ky. – If you walked into work this morning with a hot breakfast from one of The Cov’s fabulous coffee and pastry shops, the “meal” likely ended with dismay and confusion.
We can help with both.
The dismay (because it was gone) is easy: Go back tomorrow and get more coffee and pastries.
The confusion (what to do with the packaging?) takes longer to explain: Recycle some, throw away some.
Now for the details:
- Coffee cup, paper: Throw away. (Blame the thin coating that keeps the hot coffee from dissolving the cup.)
- Coffee cup, plastic or Styrofoam: Same deal (throw away) for different reasons.
- Plastic lid: Throw away. (Wrong kind of plastic.)
- Cardboard insulator: Recycle with cardboard/paper.
- Stir stick: Throw away.
- Plastic straw: Throw away. (Wrong kind of plastic.)
- Donut box: You can recycle the parts that aren’t coated with grease or icing.
- Napkin: Throw away. (“End of life” fibers don’t survive the recycling process).
# # #