Woody and Jessie from “Toy Story 2” entered the “group costume” category at the Latonia Halloween Block Party. (Photo used with permission of The River City News.)
COVINGTON, Ky. - Trick or treat hours have been officially carved in stone in the City of Covington: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Oct. 31 (it’s a Thursday this year).
So ... start putting those costumes together, buy that candy, clear your sidewalk and/or steps of obstacles, cue up the scary music - whatever it is you do to prepare (and yes, we’re fully aware that “preparation” for some people means turning out the lights at 5:59 p.m. and pretending they’re not home).
Meanwhile, some safety tips for trick or treating:
- Be very careful crossing streets.
- Adults should accompany young children. Older children should travel in groups.
- Stop only at houses with an outside light on.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers.
- Be wary of masks that obstruct vision. (Use face paint and makeup instead.)
- Have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Costumes shouldn’t cause kids to trip.
- Drivers need to slow down and be alert.
# # #