COVINGTON, Ky. - Sunday is Father’s Day, and whether your Dad or Dad-like hero is a handyman, a green thumb, a grill-master, a sports fan, a robot nut, or just your all-around favorite guy, there’s an activity in Covington geared toward him this weekend.
All about Dad
Naturally, you could take Dad to just about any Covington establishment to celebrate with dinner, lunch, a drink, or a present - and joining him for many of the activities listed in this article would give you some quality “me and Dad” time.
But here are some activities with a special Father’s Day theme:
- Take Dad to make a handmade beer mug on Friday at Baker Hunt Art & Cultural Center. A local artist will guide you through the process, and when you pick up your glazed and fired mug in a couple of weeks, Wooden Cask Brewing Company will give you half-off of a pour into your new creation. Info and tickets, HERE.
- The Dinner Detective show will perform a special Father’s Day weekend show at Embassy Suites RiverCenter on Saturday, HERE.
- Take Dad to “Donuts with Dad” (well, actually donuts, coffee and craft beer) on Sunday at Braxton Brewing Co.’s taproom (the garage where Dad would feel right at home), HERE.
- Take Dad to watch the annual Beerwood (Pinewood) Derby on Sunday at Molly Malone’s, where cars made from bought kits dash down the track at high speeds. Proceeds from the $10 cars go to children’s cancer research. Info, HERE.
- Take Dad to Keystone Bar and Grill for a burger and beer ($15 plus Dads get a free bottle of housemade BBQ sauce or tine of signature dry-rub seasoning) on Sunday, HERE.
- Make crafty gifts for Dad on Saturday morning in Latonia, HERE.
Keep our shorelines pristine
Bathtubs leave scum rings. Rivers leave flood debris.
Saturday morning, volunteers in six states will scour some 3,000 miles of shoreline of the Ohio River and its tributaries, picking up trash as part of the annual River Sweep event.
In Covington, the City and Keep Covington Beautiful are seeking volunteers to, well, keep Covington beautiful. Meet at the foot of Madison Avenue for breakfast and a free T-shirt. Bring a can-do attitude and shoes you don’t mind getting muddy.
Go wild at the library
You can read about animals in books. Saturday, you can pet the animals amid the books.
Kenton County Public Library will host a Zoo on the Move, where animal educators from the Cincinnati Zoo will bring a variety of wildlife and show how conservationists work to protect them.
Children must be registered. The event is part of the library system’s Summer Reading Celebration.
Need flowers? (See Father’s Day post above.)
Latonia Elementary Herbmania and Urban Garden has hundreds of flats of annuals and hanging baskets for sale, all for $10 each.
The student-run operation is open Friday evening and Saturday morning. All profits come back to the garden and the kids at Latonia Elementary. Info, HERE
Pedal & brunch
Gilligan had his three-hour tour. Pedal Wagon Covington has its two-hour brunch adventure (tho legalese and fine print require us to state that you won’t be stranded anywhere, much less an island).
Join your favorite pedal-based activity Saturday or Sunday with the unofficial combination of breakfast and lunch at a Covington restaurant (after a couple of bar stops) through MainStrasse Village or the Roebling Point District.
Artisans & produce
This week’s Covington Farmer’s Market will feature works and wares by artisans from around the Commonwealth (along with the usual fresh produce, meats, eggs and other local products).
It’s 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday on Third Street. Info, HERE
Transformers, Gobots & Mega Man
Celebrate all things robot at Pete’s RoboCon, meaning vendors, artists, activities, and amazing robot toys, artwork, and accessories for sale.
It’s Friday and Saturday at the Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter (in Covington). Info, HERE
U.S. Women’s soccer is all the rage these days, and Molly Malone’s is holding a Women’s World Cup Watch Party on Sunday as the USA takes on Chile.
Co-host is FC Cincinnati, and the soccer club will give away a poster signed by women’s star Rose Lavelle during the game.
And then there’s ... the pop-up shop featuring Holtman’s Donuts at Braxton Brewing Co. on Friday morning, HERE
... Week 3 of Yoga Fit with Rooted Yoga in Devou Park on Saturday morning, HERE
... Fit4U Personal Training and Braxton Brewing Co. host a Pound and Pour cardio class Saturday morning, HERE
... Madison Ave. Sunday morning Food & Culture Tour beginning at Hotel Covington, HERE
... Summer Open House on Saturday at Warrior Spirit Wellness in Latonia, HERE
... and June Trail Day on Sunday morning at Devou Park Trails, HERE
# # #