COVINGTON, KY - On Tuesday, the Covington Board of Commissioners voted to amend the Covington Code of Ordinances to allow the sale of distilled liquor, wine and malt beverages by the drink beginning at 9 a.m. on Sundays. Kentucky alcoholic beverage control laws allow local governments to regulate the sale of alcohol on Sundays as well as the other days of the week.
Previously, sales for distilled liquor, wine and malt beverages by the drink and package in Covington were allowed between the hours of 11:00 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday. On any day other than Sunday, wine, distilled spirits, or malt beverages by the drink or package can be sold between the hours of 6 a.m. and 1 a.m.
The amended version of Covington Code of Ordinances Sec. 111 will allow the following:
Malt beverages by the drink or package (CHANGE AFFECTING MALT BEVERAGE BY DRINK ONLY)
- Malt beverages by the drink allowed on Sundays from the hours of 9 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday
- No Sunday permit required
- Malt beverage sales by package are still allowed beginning at 11:00 a.m.
Wine and Distilled Spirits by the package (sold in liquor stores) (NO CHANGE TO THIS)
- Allowed on Sundays from 11 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday
- (no Sunday permit required) and
Wine and Distilled Spirits by the drink (sold in bars/restaurants) (CHANGE AFFECTING LIQUOR & WINE BY DRINK)
- Allowed from 9 a.m. Sunday until 1 a.m. Monday
- Special permit is required ($250 annually for the local permit. A state Sunday permit is also required)