Contact: Natalie Bowers, 859.292.2292
Commission Meeting Highlights
January 7, 2014
Commission approved the following appointments and promotions:
- Battalion Chief Chris Black to Assistant Chief in the Covington Fire Department.
- Promotion of Captain Eric Matheny to the position of Battalion Chief in the Covington Fire Department.
- Employment of J. Christian Dennery as Senior Law Clerk within the Legal Department.
IRS Property Now Back on Tax Roll
The lease on the property located at 301-333 Scott Blvd. - leased to the IRS twenty years ago and the project supported with bonds issued in partnership with the City - is now expiring. The bonds have reached maturity and as a result of the related lease cancellation, the property will now be back on the all tax rolls including the City's.
Tech Savvy Purchase by Police Department
Reveal Media will provide the Police Department with 80 'ruggedized' body worn cameras. The purchase is supported by a sizable donation by John Topits and was in response to requests that came from members of the Police Department. Besides gathering hard evidence that can help solve cases and clear up complaints, the cameras are meant to keep both the police and the public accountable.
Hotel Covington Development Continues
Commission approved the sale of the property located at 638 Madison Avenue to 638 Madison, LLC, at a sale price of $1 million. The property will be renovated and redeveloped as a boutique hotel known as Hotel Covington. Financing for the new hotel is being secured currently, with the exception of New Market Tax Credits that will be allocated in the Spring 2014. The sale is a necessary step towards the redevelopment of the property. It also ends the City's maintenance responsibility on the property.
Little Library To Be Installed
Commission approved the installation of a 'Free Little Library' on City property at the intersection of Craig and Sixth Streets. According to freelittlelibrary.org, a 'Little Library' is a box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book (or two) and bring back another book to share.
Commission approved the following appointments:
- The reappointment of Mayor Sherry Carran as the City of Covington representative on the board of Directors of the Ohio Kentucky Indiana regional council of Governments, effective January 1, 2014.
- The appointment of Brandon Hamilton to the Covington Rental Dwelling License Appeals Board for a two-year term, effective April 24, 2013 and expiring April 23, 2015.
- The appointment of Michael J. Bassi to the Telecommunications Board of Northern Kentucky for a two-year term, effective January 1, 2014, and expiring December 31, 2015.