As a rule, trash must fit inside the City-issued cart. However, residents can set out one separate “bulk item” a week, with a “bulk item” defined as things like a piece of furniture, a mattress set, an appliance, 3 bags of yard debris, 3 bundles of carpet, 3 bundles of branches or shrubbery, or 3 additional bags of trash.
Many bulk items must be prepared:
These items are prohibited from being set out as “bulk items”: Tires. Batteries. Hazardous liquids. Loose trash and debris. Combustible and hazardous materials. Rocks, dirt and construction debris. Appliances still containing Freon. Fluorescent bulbs and ballasts.
- Mattresses and upholstered furniture must be wrapped in plastic and sealed.
- Freon must be removed from appliances by a certified professional, with documentation attached to the appliance.
- Loose shrubbery, sticks, and lumber must be tied in bundles no longer than 4 feet and no heavier than 50 pounds.
- Carpet must be rolled or folded and tied in bundles no longer than 4 feet and no heavier than 50 pounds.
- Extra kitchen trash must be bagged, secured, and placed inside of a trash can with a lid.