The City of Covington contracts with Rumpke Waste & Recycling to provide City residents and businesses with waste collection and recycling services.
Questions? Please visit 311 Online or view a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding residential waste services.
Residential Trash Collection
Trash is collected once per week, Monday through Friday. Use the map below by either zooming in on your location or clicking "FULL SCREEN MAP" and entering your address to find your trash pick-up day. If your collection falls on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, collection will be delayed one day that week.
FULL SCREEN MAP
- Trash and recycling carts should be placed curbside (no more than 3 feet from the road) by no earlier than 6 p.m. the evening before collection day and no later than 6 a.m. on collection day. Empty carts must be removed by 12 p.m. the following day.
- Covington households are provided with a City-issued, brown 95-gallon wheeled trash cart. All trash must be bagged and placed completely inside the cart. Effective October 1, 2015, private receptacles will be prohibited and will be removed as trash. If you don’t have a City-issued cart, please contact Rumpke.
- Residents with physical impairments or space constraints (lots with no yard or storage space) can discuss substitute 35 or 65 gallon cart sizes and disposal options with Rumpke by calling 1-877-786-7537 or e-mailing email@example.com.
- Arrangements for additional trash carts can be made by calling Rumpke at 1-877-786-7537.
- According to federal law, Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials, or any items identified as hazardous
- Carts filled with rocks, dirt or construction debris will not be collected and may result in citations and/or fines.
- Are you a landlord? Click here to download the Waste & Recycle Landlord Toolkit.
Set Out Guidelines:
Large Item Collection and Excessive Trash
- A large item is any item that is too big to fit inside your cart like, furniture, appliances, mattresses, excessive bags, loose trash, or yard waste.
- Mattresses, box springs and upholstered furniture must be wrapped in plastic. Together one mattress and one box spring are considered one large item.
- Freon must be properly removed from appliances prior to disposal. Click here for more information.
- Residents can place up to 12 large items for curbside collection each year, at no additional cost. To avoid citations and/or fines, follow the procedures below:
- The City will provide each household with 12 City-issued green stickers per year.
- Place one sticker on every large item set out for collection that is not contained in a cart.
- Renters should contact their landlords about obtaining stickers for large items, or to get information about how to dispose of large items.
Special Pickup & Dumpster Rentals
- Residents who require the collection of more than 12 large items per year should contact Rumpke at 1-877-786-7537 48-hours in advance to schedule the pick-up. Additional fees will apply.
- Arrangements for disposal of construction debris can be made by contacting Rumpke at 1-877-786-7537.
- Rumpke is the exclusive service provider of open top dumpster rentals for Covington residents and businesses. Contact Rumpke for options and rates.
- Kenton County has “open dumping days” on the first Saturday of every month from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Public Works Administration Building, located at 420 Independence Station Road. Unwanted items can be disposed free of charge. For more information, contact Kenton County at 859-392-1920.
- Yard waste can be placed in your City-issued brown cart for disposal. If you have more yard waste than what your cart holds, you can use one of the City’s Large Item Pickup stickers to dispose of up to six, 30-gallon bags of yard waste.
- Loose shrubbery or tree limbs must be bundled and tied in lengths no larger/longer than 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. Bundles should not exceed 50 pounds.
Take the Covington Recycling Pledge and be entered to win a $100 gift card from Rumpke!
- Curbside recycling is available to all Covington households at no additional charge. To sign-up for recycling, contact Rumpke at 1-877-786-7537 of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Households participating in the City’s recycling program are provided with a green, 65-gallon wheeled recycling cart. You can request a larger or smaller cart if needed.
- Recycling is collected every-other-week. Use the map above to find out whether your recycling is collected on a "green" or "gold" week.
- Additional maps and collection schedules for green and gold weeks can be viewed here.
- Download a Recycling Guide to see what items can and can't be placed in your recycling cart.
- Are you a landlord? Click here to download the Waste & Recycling Landlord Toolkit.
We want your input! Click here to complete the following Recycling Survey.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials, or any items identified as hazardous. The Northern Kentucky Household Hazardous Waste Action Coalition schedules seasonal hazardous waste collection.
The Kenton County Office of Solid Waste Management recommends a local company called Environmental Enterprises, on Spring Grove Avenue in Cincinnati, who will take paint, oil, antifreeze, and other hazardous materials on Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. There is a small fee. Please call 513-541-1823 for more information.
For information regarding waste and recycling resources in Northern Kentucky, click here.
Solid Waste & Recycling Management Presentation
The Solid Waste & Recycling Management Program presentation provides an overview of the City's initiatives, improvements and following waste focus areas:
- Waste Stream Reduction
- Data Collection
To view the presentation, click here.